Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Technology in Education: Fair or Unfair?

Does money unlock opportunities for those who can afford it?
As I held a conversation with two of my students yesterday, I began to ask them their takes on using technology in education.  While both students agree that it is nice to be able to use technology, they did state that there are just some things they'd rather learn the old fashion way.  But this is not what stood out most to me.  One of my students made a comment that truly made me think.  He said to me that one thing that bothers him is that other student's whose parents can afford to buy them the same (or better) technology that they use in school have an advantage over student's whose parents cannot afford to buy them the technology used in school.  He said that they have more time at home to practice and play with the technology and learn all the ins and outs about it.  The only time student's whose parents can't afford to buy it get to use it is in class.  There may be times when they complete tasks slower because they are still trying to get adjusted to using the technology.  He said that this "plays with people's minds" because not being able to keep up is embarassing and frustrating. 

So, what do we suggest for students who don't have the benefit of affording the technology that we use in our classrooms?  Not every school has the benefit of supplying students with their school assigned technologies to be taken home.  The costs would soar through the roof!  How can we close the gap between the advantaged and the disadvantaged when it comes to the affordability of technology?  When my student said this to me, it reminded me of a time in high school.  When I was in high school, graphing calculators became a big deal.  There were the newest thing.  I can recall that my Math Teacher wanted her students to all have a TI-83 calculator.  I was fortunate enough that my parents could afford to buy me one, but that was not the case for all of my classmates.  At the time, the calculators were well over $100.  So, some students had to look on the calculators of other students and did not have the advantage of using the calculators very much.  Was this fair to the students?  Are we being fair to students now?  What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. I remember the time of the graphing calculators! What I don't understand, is why they don't provide a class set for classrooms. I have not used my graphing calculator since I graduated high school. So my mom's $100 didn't last long and was not justified.

    I really like how your student put everything in perspective for those of us who don't realize that's how it happens. I know I think about which my of students probably don't have computers, but when we are in the computer lab I expect them all to be able to understand how to use it. I didn't realize I thought that way until I read your post. So, not all students are being treated fairly concerning this matter. To close the gap you mentioned is a hard task for low socioeconomic communities. An idea could be to have computer labs at schools set up for students or parents to use educationally. Technology nights at schools could also be set up...What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love the idea of technology nights! Often times parents don't understand their children's technology and this would be a nice idea to get families together to learn and explore together. This is truly missing in the families of today.

      Delete
  2. The TI-83, wow, I remember that calculator also! I used it for a short period of time and passed it down to my sister. I can say that it took me quite a bit of "playing around with it" at home to be able to use it correctly. When I think of this I feel bad for the students who do not have the technology at home that others do to "play with things" and learn how to use them.

    I think it would be helpful for students if technology labs could be opened before school in the morning for students to come in and use them. After students finish their lunch would be another great time. This would give them some extra time to practice. Libraries also have computers that students are able to use when they are not at school.

    Unfortunately things will never be "fair" in school. Students whose parents have money get extra tutoring help, better technology at home, and always have the "right" school supplies. I have taught at a school where the food that students got at school was the only food they got that day. How are those students going to compete with the students who go home to a loving house, computers, and extra school help? They really can't. As teachers though it is our job to at least try to even things out for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. The more and more I look at, I fear we will never truly have an equal and fair playing field in education. But the key will be with us (teachers) in finding ways to combat this issue. The road seems tough but with persistence, I'm sure we'll be able to make some sort of change.

      Delete
  3. It broke my heart reading your post. Your students are completely right. It's not fair that the reason for students who finish slower is because they don't get the advantage to play with the same technology at home because they can't afford it.
    I remember growing up and not having a computer until my uncle came to visit us at home and him being the smart person that he is he gave us a computer he had found by the side of the dumpster. Now this computer was awfully old but worked. I wonder though if this happened to students how will they be able to keep up (like you stated) since technology is always evolving? It's not fair but like you asked what are we as teachers supposed to do? We alone can't purchase a computer (for example) for every student to take home and use and nor can the district.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel like some of our students are at more of a disadvantage than those of us who grew up with the "simple" technology. Technology is a wonderful thing, but it comes with it's price tag and many just don't have the means to match their desires.

      Delete
  4. Your students are absolutely right that wealthier students do have more of an advantage over less fortunate students. This disparity gap goes beyond just having similar exposure and access to modern technology. I too remember when graphic calculators were the things to have in geometry class. My mother couldn’t afford it and all I had to use were the classroom set. It was very difficult for me to get to understand all the bell and whistle of the calculator because I didn’t own when at home. I was able to get by because, my teacher tried not to put such a strong emphasis on using calculators all the time and homework were to be done by hand most of the time.

    As far as what can less financially fortunate students do to deal with the lack of access to modern technology, for a short term response, I would strongly suggest that these students try going to their local library or community center more often. Although some low income neighborhood may not have the most state-of-the-art library, most libraries do have computers with web access for patrons to use. For long term, I think the school district should petition and lobby electronic companies like Dell, Apple, Hp, etc to donate or sell at a much more discounted price to low-income schools.

    Let’s face it; we all know that a lot of things can be done without computers or other electronic devices. Civilization wasn’t built because of the electronic technology boom. However we all can admit that our way of life has surely improved for the better with the various technological inventions. With that said it’s important that all our students are being adequately exposed to all that’s out there… When our educational system and a society at-large fail to do that, then we are failing to properly educate our ALL of our youths.

    ReplyDelete